What is this? A guest that has not yet registered on the forum? Or are you just a member that has not logged in? No worries. If you wish to create a new account, and jump into the epic squish-squish action, press the register button bellow. If you have an existing account, click the login button bellow and type your information.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

What is this? A guest that has not yet registered on the forum? Or are you just a member that has not logged in? No worries. If you wish to create a new account, and jump into the epic squish-squish action, press the register button bellow. If you have an existing account, click the login button bellow and type your information.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for all classic rock fanatics and music junkies.

3 posters

The Origin of.... Backmasking.

That Guy
    That Guy
    First Solo
    First Solo

The Origin of.... Backmasking. Empty The Origin of.... Backmasking.

Post  That Guy Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:32 pm

Backmasking (also known as backward masking) is a recording technique in which a sound or message is recorded backward onto a track that is meant to be played forward. Backmasking is a deliberate process, whereas a message found through phonetic reversal may be unintentional.
    Backmasking was popularized by The Beatles, who used backward vocals and instrumentation in recording their 1966 album Revolver. Artists have since used backmasking for artistic, comedic, and satiric effect, on both analog and digital recordings. The technique has also been used to censor words or phrases for "clean" releases of songs.
    Backmasking has been a controversial topic in the United States since the 1980s, when allegations from Christian groups of its use for Satanic purposes were made against prominent rock musicians, leading to record-burning protests and proposed anti-backmasking legislation by state and federal governments. Whether backmasked messages exist is in debate, as is whether backmasking can be used subliminally to affect listeners.

The backwards playing of records was advised as training for magicians by occultist Aleister Crowley, who suggested in his 1913 book Magick (Book 4) that an adept "train himself to think backwards by external means", one of which was to "listen to phonograph records, reversed.

The Beatles, who incorporated the techniques of concrète into their recordings, were responsible for popularizing the concept of backmasking. Singer John Lennon and producer George Martin both claim they discovered the backward recording technique during the recording of 1966's Revolver; specifically the album tracks "Tomorrow Never Knows" and "I'm Only Sleeping," and the single "Rain". Lennon stated that, while under the influence of marijuana, he accidentally played the tapes for "Rain" in reverse, and enjoyed the sound. The following day he shared the results with the other Beatles, and the effect was used first in the guitar solo for "Tomorrow Never Knows", and later in the coda of "Rain". According to Martin, the band had been experimenting with changing the speeds of and reversing the "Tomorrow Never Knows" tapes, and Martin got the idea of reversing Lennon's vocals and guitar, which he did with a clip from "Rain". Lennon then liked the effect and kept it. Regardless, "Rain" was the first song to feature a backmasked message: "Sunshine … Rain … When the rain comes, they run and hide their heads" (the last line is the reversed first verse of the song)

Artists who have been accused of backmasking include Led Zeppelin, The Beatles, Pink Floyd, Electric Light Orchestra, Queen, Styx, AC/DC, Judas Priest, The Eagles, The Rolling Stones, Jefferson Starship, Black Oak Arkansas, Rush, Britney Spears,, and Eminem.

So in summary, Backmasking is an effect used by many artists (Whether intentional or otherwise) to either spread a message or have a little fun with the listener.

Got an idea of what I should do a "The origins of...."? PM it to me and you might win money (Not really) or you could get mentioned in my next topic!
    Now, in conclusion to this all before I say adieu. Number nine...number nine...number nine...Number Nine... ...Turn me on dead man... Turn me on dead man...

This origins of was requested specifically by Chibi.
    Phantom
    Phantom

The Origin of.... Backmasking. Empty Re: The Origin of.... Backmasking.

Post  Phantom Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:48 pm

The creepyest back masking I ever heard was from the jonas brothers. It is so clear that it was obviosly intentional. >3<

So, basiclly it was just made by some bands?
    That Guy
    That Guy
    First Solo
    First Solo

Post  That Guy Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:50 pm

In a nutshell it was. It was popularized by Frank Zappa and it sprung off from there....
    Chibi
    Chibi
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post  Chibi Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:00 pm

Phantom wrote:The creepyest back masking I ever heard was from the jonas brothers. It is so clear that it was obviosly intentional. >3<

"We speak for satan! Satan! Satan! We are forsaken for satan! Satan! Satan!"

You DESERVE to have satan come out of the music and torture you, for looking for that crap. Entertaining, but a waste of time.
    Phantom
    Phantom

Post  Phantom Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:41 pm

Chibi wrote:
    Phantom wrote:The creepyest back masking I ever heard was from the jonas brothers. It is so clear that it was obviosly intentional. >3<

"We speak for satan! Satan! Satan! We are forsaken for satan! Satan! Satan!"

You DESERVE to have satan come out of the music and torture you, for looking for that crap. Entertaining, but a waste of time.

Yes, that. It was creepy .-. And YOU'RE the one who showed it to me

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 5:13 am