What is this? A guest that has not yet registered on the forum? Or are you just a member that has not logged in? No worries. If you wish to create a new account, and jump into the epic squish-squish action, press the register button bellow. If you have an existing account, click the login button bellow and type your information.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

What is this? A guest that has not yet registered on the forum? Or are you just a member that has not logged in? No worries. If you wish to create a new account, and jump into the epic squish-squish action, press the register button bellow. If you have an existing account, click the login button bellow and type your information.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for all classic rock fanatics and music junkies.

4 posters

Genesis

That Guy
    That Guy
    First Solo
    First Solo

Genesis Empty Genesis

Post  That Guy Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:46 pm

Genesis are an English rock band that formed in 1967. The band currently comprises the longest-tenured members Phil Collins (lead vocals and drums), Mike Rutherford (guitar and bass guitar), and Tony Banks (keyboards). Peter Gabriel, Anthony Phillips and Steve Hackett also played major roles in the band in its early days. Genesis are among the top 30 highest-selling recording artists of all time with approximately 150 million albums sold worldwide, including 21.5 million albums sold in the United States.

Genesis began as a 1960s pop band playing moody, simple keyboard-driven melodies. During the 1970s, they evolved into a progressive rock band, incorporating complex song structures and elaborate instrumentation, while their concerts became theatrical experiences with innovative stage design, pyrotechnics, elaborate costumes and onstage stories. This second phase was characterised by lengthy performances such as the 23 minute "Supper's Ready" and The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway, the 1974 concept album. In the 1980s, the band produced accessible pop music based on melodic hooks; this change of direction gave them their first number one album in the United Kingdom, Duke, and their only number one single in the United States, "Invisible Touch".

Genesis has changed personnel several times. Stage fright forced founding member Anthony Phillips to leave the band in 1970. In 1975, Collins, then the band's drummer, replaced Gabriel as lead singer after a lengthy search for a replacement. To facilitate Collins's move to lead vocals during concerts, Bill Bruford, and later Chester Thompson, played drums for the band as they toured, with Collins joining in briefly during lengthy instrumental passages. After Phil Collins left the band in 1996, Genesis recruited Ray Wilson (formerly of Stiltskin), who appeared on the 1997 album Calling All Stations. As a result of the commercial failure of Calling All Stations, the band announced an indefinite hiatus. However, in 2007, Banks, Collins and Rutherford reunited for a 20-city tour of Europe and North America, which included a free concert at Rome's Circo Massimo in front of 500,000 fans. Genesis will be among 5 performers inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2010.

As mentioned they are a pretty good band across the pond, but arent very famous in "The States". The members Phil Collins and Peter Gabriel both moved on and made hits of their own.

Some of Genesis' hits were "No Son of Mine", "Hold on my Heart" and "Invisible Touch" With "Invisible Touch" being the only song by them to hit the U.S Billboard top 100.

Phil Collins went on to make "In the Air Tonight" a very good song to show off with if you play drums, and I highly recommend this one if you wanna hear something like Genesis.

Peter Gabriel made "Games Without Fronteirs" a song that questioned politics in a children type way.

Topic made.....NOW DISCUSS!
    Chibi
    Chibi
    Administrator
    Administrator

Genesis Empty Re: Genesis

Post  Chibi Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:09 am

I recently became a fan of this band. (Damn my mother and her obsessive "CHECK OUT THESE GAIZ" moments...) Anyway, I enjoy the type of Jungle/alternative feel they have. From what I hear from the music they play, and the videos they make... they are on the same stuff Tool does...
    Toady

Post  Toady Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:06 pm

Never listen to them (:
    That Guy
    That Guy
    First Solo
    First Solo

Post  That Guy Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:47 pm

Toady wrote:Never listen to them (:
    Do you mean you never heard them? Or telling us "Never listen to them!"
    Chibi
    Chibi
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post  Chibi Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:08 am

That Guy wrote:

Sense; It makes none

You HAVE to have heard of Genesis. Songs have been used in ads before, seeing that is the only way to connect with the public anymore.

"I ONLEE WACH TEH SUPR BOEL 4 TEH ADZ!"
    DarkCannon
    DarkCannon
    Learning Chords
    Learning Chords

Post  DarkCannon Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:40 pm

Chibi wrote:
    That Guy wrote:

Sense; It makes none

You HAVE to have heard of Genesis. Songs have been used in ads before, seeing that is the only way to connect with the public anymore.

"I ONLEE WACH TEH SUPR BOEL 4 TEH ADZ!"

ROCK AND ROLL! >:O

Genesis is win. And seeing I have yet to do this.

Endofthread.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:33 am